NOC Intern, Operations
CENIC connects California to the world—advancing education and research statewide by providing the world-class network essential for innovation, collaboration and economic growth. This nonprofit organization operates the California Research and Education Network (CalREN), a high-capacity network designed to meet the unique requirements of over 20 million users, including the vast majority of K-20 students together with educators, researchers and other vital public-serving institutions.
CENIC’s Charter Associates are part of the world’s largest education system; they include the California K-12 system, California Community Colleges, the California State University system, California’s Public Libraries, the University of California system, Stanford, Caltech, and USC. CENIC also provides connectivity to leading-edge institutions and industry research organizations around the world, serving the public as a catalyst for a vibrant California.
The Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC) is seeking a NOC Intern to provide support for CENIC’s Operations group. The scope of responsibilities includes but is not limited to the following functions:
- Documentation audits and updates
- Updating customer contact information
- Abuse ticket processing & follow-up
- Allocating and preparing equipment for shipment
- Updating the inventory tracking system
- Assisting fellow interns in understanding existing documentation and Network Operations processes
- Providing other assistance as CENIC's business needs dictate
This is a part-time, temporary student position. Applicants must be enrolled as a student at an accredited college or university at time of hire.
Students interested in this internship opportunity must be available a minimum of three (3) days per week for at least five (5) hours per day. Student interns cannot exceed twenty (20) work hours per week. Must be available to work during standard business hours, Monday through Friday, between 8am and 6pm. Schedule can be adjusted as needed for classes as long as it remains during business hours. Total hours per week will be dependent on CENIC's business needs and may be changed by the supervisor at any time.
- Basic knowledge of IP-based networking, including knowledge of routing protocols
- Engineering background a plus
- Familiarity with office productivity tools such as email, calendaring, and MS Office applications
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks assigned in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team-oriented environment
- Strong customer service orientation/ability
- Adept at understanding technical information and learning new concepts
- Independent worker with high degree of self motivation
- Keen attention to detail, avoiding shortcuts that may adversely impact quality of work
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift moderately heavy (25 to 50 pounds) and heavy (over 50 pounds) objects, such as routers, switches, computers, and peripherals
Please send your resumes with salary history or current salary.
Resumes can be sent to:
16700 Valley View Ave. Suite 400
La Mirada, California 90638
Attn: NOC Intern
CENIC has two California offices, the home office in La Mirada and a smaller office in Berkeley. The NOC Intern will work out of the La Mirada office.
CENIC is an equal opportunity employer
CENIC is proud of the diversity of our staff and of those we serve and will not deny employment on the basis of race, national origin, ethnic identification, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, or disability; neither will CENIC discriminate against any employees on the basis of the above